Monday, April 28, 2008

What It Means To Be A Mother


When I think of what it means to be a mother so very many memories come to mind about my mother, my grandmothers, my two daughters and myself as mothers. I have scanned so many photos trying to decide the best for a contest hosted by 5 Minutes for Moms where you can win $1,000, awarded via an American Express gift card to spend however you want. What I kept coming back to was a few photos of my oldest daughter. They just seem to express a beautiful life so well.


The photo below is minutes after birth. My daughter took a great health risk to have another child and went through a terribly stressful pregnancy because of an unrelated shock. With all that she endured she always felt that Lucy was meant to be here...that there was a purpose for her life. This is the true meaning of what it is to be a mother...to risk your own life to bring forth such a miracle.


I often look at this photo of my daughter and granddaughter and an overwhelming bittersweet feeling washes upon me. For though she was just a few weeks from passing away and was suffering the terrible side effects from her brain cancer, surgeries and treatments which stole her away bit by bit, I can forever see the beautiful response to her child. Lucy will always be able to see the love in these two photos.


12 comments:

Junebug said...

Absolutely beautiful! Words could not express.....

The Dairy Wife said...

Vonda,

That is so beautiful. My heart aches for you right now. I know you miss her terribly.

Tanya

RecipeGirl said...

What a beautiful, tragic story. Thanks for sharing...

noble pig said...

I'm in tears. I am so sorry for the loss you have experienced. What a tragic story.

I am just speechless.

Kristi said...

sis - beautifully put as always. Kyla truly had a wonderful and special love for her babies. What a wonderful person and soul - I hope there is some way to help her girls grasp the love she had for them.

PhotoChick said...

I cannot fathom a more perfect entry for the contest. I love the pictures you chose in so many ways... You're so wonderful and brave to keep Kyla's spirit alive and to share her with us. I know your beautiful grandkids will forever know their Mamma's love! My love and prayers go out to you as always... I do hope you're doing well. I think about you often; surely don't let you know as I should though. I love reading your blogs - all 3! I subscribed through Bloglines so I always know whenever something new is written! (Is that borderline stalker...? I hope not!) Anyway, much love to you all - take care and may God Bless you.

Mental P Mama said...

Speechless here. But, so moved. Beautiful mama.

Tipper said...

Amazingly beautiful.

Killlashandra said...

Totally precious moments! You've captured them so well and they do show the love.

MileHighMommy said...

All I can muster is "Wow".

Country Girl said...

This is absolutely touching and beautiful. I am reduced to tears and am especially moved because I had no idea about your beautiful daughter, Kyla.

My husband is a brain cancer survivor and was diagnosed in May 2004. I understand the part about losing a person bit by bit. I almost lost him. And then he came back.

Thank you so much for sharing this incredibly intimate piece of your life.

~Kate Y.

"JEANNELLE" said...

May God continue to bless Lucy and all of you....what an ordeal you've experienced.