Monday, April 14, 2008

Head Noise On A Sunday Morning

This area has been overrun by wild turkeys. I don't really classify them as wild since they roost on decks, strut around in our carport and just poop everywhere. They have become kind of a nuisance in this area. That said, this is mating season and they generally break up into smaller groups with a tom and several hens...ours usually have three or four hens for every tom. Every morning the toms are strutting their stuff by fanning out their feathers and sometimes doing a little dance sidling drunkenly from side to side. Hilarious looking really!



So Sunday morning I was having a quite lovely dream. In this dream I was concentrating on something (I don't remember what) but these women just kept cackling and laughing and making all kinds of noise. I remember complaining in my dream that they were so noisy and I wished that they would just shut up. Then all of a sudden one woman really laughed loud enough to wake me up. I sat up in bed and looked around and all of the noisy "women" were right outside our open window. There were two toms and several hens but the toms were gobbling at each other and trying to show who was boss in this territory.


I just yelled at them to "HUSH" which produced more gobbling. I looked at the farmer and each time they would gobble he would pull the quilt up further over his head. Laughing I say to him "your alarm is going off"...heh! heh!

11 comments:

"JEANNELLE" said...

What a cute story! Amazing how external goings-on can somehow infiltrate into dreams.

Jill said...

He he! Just the alarm Dad needs, one that will actually WAKE him UP!!! :) But if it's a comfort, Steve McGregor was telling me on Saturday that he thinks it's about time he made a trip out to my "folks'" house to shoot him some wild turkey! I asked if he wanted me to provide some cold iced tea and a cushy lounge chair on the back deck to make him a little more comfortable while he "hunted". Didn't want him to strain himself too much... :)

Kelli said...

I feel stalked by the turkeys. Every time I make a move, they gobble. It kind of scares me actually.

RecipeGirl said...

That's a fun story. I often have those sorts of dreams where noises involved in the dream are noises occurring around me. Strange, huh? I don't believe I've ever seen a wild turkey!

noble pig said...

Turkeys scare me. We have some in town that have attacked the mailman and others. They are about 50 strong but they are always fun to look at.

Kristi said...

Quite a few years ago my Dad, who grew up in the country, took some city boys turkey hunting one Thanksgiving. Everyone got a turkey except for one boy. He said he didn't see any turkeys, "just some ugly birds that kept landing close to him". The ugly birds were turkeys. My Dad loves to tell that story.

Tipper said...

I wish my husband's luck was like yours-he hasn't had any luck finding the turkey's this year.

The Dairy Wife said...

Oh I would love it if we had some turkeys out here ... nothing but Cows. The kids would love it.

You're quite the "Dreamer." Ha~

Tanya

Twinville said...

Weird! I've had some dreams like that, too. When you wak up it feels so disorienting, as if you aren't sure you're still asleep or not. hehe

Your turkey situation reminds me of that John Hitchcock movie "The Birds' A little creepy, I bet.

Mental P Mama said...

Our turkeys have really turned things up a lot here in Connecticut, too!

The Dairy Wife said...

I just saw a bunch of wild turkeys in our fields here the other day.

Tis the season for them to run I think! Hunters are out too!

Tanya