Friday, March 28, 2008

Banana Sour Cream Loaf

This is a recipe that I make once in a while when I have over-ripe bananas. I remember when my older sisters, Barb and Loretta would make banana bread and wrap it up in foil while still warm and take it to our neighbors, a little old couple who lived in a mobile home below our parents place.  I have forgotten where this came from but it always turns out moist and wonderful.

Here is what the batter looks like after all ingredients are added.

Pour into two greased loaf pans and bake at 350 degrees for around fifty to sixty minutes.

Oh the way this makes your house smell is so yummy.

Cooling on a wire rack in theory.


Guess the cooling just will not happen.

A little pat of butter on warm bread. Yum!

Banana Sour Cream Loaf

2/3 cup butter
1-1/3 cup sugar

2 eggs

1-1/2 cup bananas, mashed

2-1/4 cup flour

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 teaspoon soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup chopped nuts (optional)

Cream butter and sugar together: add eggs and bananas, beat until smooth. In a separate bowl, sift flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt together. Add dry mixture alternately with sour cream to banana mix, blend well. Fold in nuts and pour into a greased 9'" x 5" loaf pan; bake at 350 degrees for 55 to 65 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean. 

8 comments:

Rechelle said...

How can you do this to a woman who had a cold grilled cheese sandwich for lunch!

noble pig said...

Holy moly, looks delightful! Any cake with sour cream just always turns out so well in texture. I will definitely try this!

Jill said...

Mmmmm...banana bread...(groaned in best Homer Simpson-voice). Looks yummy! Or as Byron would say, Num-nums!

Kelli said...

Yummy! You should make more. I'll buy a bunch of bananas and make sure they won't all get eaten. I definitely think the sour cream makes it more moist.

Shauna said...

Looks delicious!! I never thought of adding the sour cream. Shows how much I know. I will be borrowing this recipe this week!! Gotta leave those bananas on the counter alone now. :)

Christine said...

Oh man, I love banana bread. And banana bread with sour cream sounds de-lish!

carrie & troy keiser said...

OH thanks now I WANT some! :)

Twinville said...

Mmmmmm! I was waiting for a recipe...and you didn't let me down. Good girl!

(wiping the drool off my chin now)