Saturday, February 23, 2008

Where's The Egg?

Today I decided I had better quit procrastinating and muck out the hen house.  This is not what I signed on to do but I realize that the poop doesn't move out on it own.  It takes a shovel and a pair of muck boots.  Oh and me.

These here are my (or should say Dave's) farm boots.  At least someone wears them occasionally.  I thought that instead of standing all forlorn in the closet I would put them to use.  They especially look good with my flannel pajamas (or my denim jumper as my sister Kristi says).  

About two months ago our eight hens began laying around six to seven eggs a day.  This began as usual as the daylight began to be a little longer.  But the past two or three weeks we noticed that we were lucky to get one or two eggs every other day or so.  It puzzled us as to why they suddenly stopped just when there was more daylight and they had been off to a good start.  So today I find this poor little pathetic lonely egg in one of the nests.  That is all for two days.


Before I entered the hen house I had heard a hen making all kinds of noise like she was laying an egg.  But when I entered she was no where to be found.  I noticed these two eggs laying on the floor by a bale of straw and knelt down to look at them.  Just then the hen flew over my head and out the door.  It startled me and I still didn't see where she came from until I stood up.

Here is the bale of straw.  As I stood up I spied a few eggs behind it.  Darn chickens.  That is where they were hiding them.  I pulled the bale out and whoa!

Maybe a few eggs do you think?

Thirty two to be exact.  Traitors.  Of course they all have to be thrown away because we don't know which ones are good.  Never trust a sneaky bunch of chickens.  Oh and why do they all seem to think they have to jump up and lay in the same nest when there are five nests available? 

7 comments:

Country Girl said...

At first I was thinking that your hens had gone broody, but when you said one flew out above you, I just knew they must be hiding them somewhere, the little devils! Too bad, but you certainly do have to throw them all out. Nice eggs, though. And your chicken house is really clean! Nice pics, too!

Kristi said...

Sneaky chickens!! Poor things want a family - you home wrecker you! You look good in your rubber boots (and denim jumper I'm sure) - you'd make a fine homeschool mom!

Jeannelle said...

Oh, what a good picture story!! We have a few chickens wandering around our farmstead, and we've found eggs in diverse places....like inside the baler and on top of wagons of hay. Hens are ever the opportunists.

Jill said...

This story cracked me up when Dad told me! And he gets those perfect, irritated, I-Want-to-kill-those-stupid-chickens looks to go along with the story. Not to mention the part where he said he was starting to think he needed to just cook the whole lot and go buy a bunch of new, good laying hens! :)I'm sure Wade would have been ready, willing, and waiting with a .22 (or bigger) to blow them suckers away...

carrie & troy keiser said...

Holy cow.. I mean EGGS! When we had chickens, they laid them everywhere! It was fun to search for them because I was a kid.... don't think I'd fuind it nearly as fun now! Good luck with that!

Kelli said...

This story still makes me laugh, they must be wondering why its taking so long for the eggs to hatch?!

paul said...

My name is Paul Godfrey and I have been producing my own foods for many years now, I grow herbs and vegetables, keep poultry for eggs and for the table and keep sheep and pigs for all kinds of wonderful produce. I would like to share my adventures with others so have started a website. www.thegoodlife-online.co.uk